Did You Know…..In Feb 1955, a congregational meeting was held to name the new church. The 3 names on the ballot were: Faith, St Mark’s & Church of the Holy Trinity (Evangelical & Reformed). Faith was chosen on the 2nd ballot.
Faith United Church of Christ, founded in 1954, began worshiping in the Elkwood Fire Hall on 8th Street. Begun by the Evangelical and Reformed Church, Faith soon became a member of the United Church of Christ during the 1957 merger of the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Churches. Faith Church's sanctuary was built in 1955 and education wing was added in 1966. Through weekly Bible study, Sunday School for all ages and lively worship, we continue to grow in our faith and look forward to expanding God's ministry in this community and throughout the world.
Anniversary History Dates - Faith UCC
November 21, 1954 - 1st worship service Elkwood Fire Hall 58 present, including children
December 5, 1954 - 1st Sunday School session
January 9, 1955 - 1st communion service w/ 43 communicants
February 21, 1955 - Petition to organize as Faith Evangelical & Reformed Church of New Cumberland, PA with 66 signatures approved by Mercersburg Synod
April 3, 1955 - 66 persons received as Charter Members of Faith Church. Rev. J. Richard Glatfelter formally called to serve as first pastor. First elders and deacons were elected.
May 1, 1955 - 225 persons attended the Recognition Service in Elkwwod Fire Hall. Rev. Glatfelter was installed as Pastor. Congregation was received into the Mercersburg Synod
July 10, 1955 - Faith Church held a consecration service at new church building site on Drexel Hills Boulevard.
August 15, 1955 - Congregation gave authority to a General Buliding Committee to proceed w/ plans for a church building. The Committee consisted of Mrs. John H. Keplinger, Mrs. Harry G. Brungard, Albert L. Kocher, William N. Wierman, Charles W. Hoppes and Gustan R. Mansch. General Building Committee selected Ralph Edward Spahr of Harrisburg as architect to Design the church building.
November 20, 1955 - 1st Anniversary service held and Charter Member Roll closed w/ a total of 100 members
Late in 1955 - Architect submitted for a complete building Consisting of 4 units.
During Early 1956 - Building plans were formally adopted, bids for construction were sought and rejected due to excessive cost.
Late Summer 1956 - New construction bids were sought on revised plans for one unit only. Unit one consisted Sanctuary, narthex, choir room, library and church offices
End of year 1956 - Construction contracts were signed with General Contractor, Ritter Brothers of Harrisburg and with separate plumbing, heating and electrical contractors. Total bids approximately $87,000.00
February 17, 1957 - Groundbreaking ceremonies held at the site Sunday noon after a service in Elkwood Fire Hall where Rev. Glatfelter spoke of "God's Building Materials"
May 12, 1957 - Cornerstone was laid with appropriate Ceremonies
November 10, 1957 - 1st Unit complete and in use for Dedication Week and 3rd Anniversary of the congregation
1965 - 1966 - Plans for 2nd Unit finalized and addition constructed.
June 12, 1966 - Dedication Service for new addition. New Addition consisted of education wing,fellowship hall, pastor's study and storage room.